We believe that the Democratic Party, with its great diversity, its flexibility of organization, its historic adaptability to fruitful change, and its instinctive responsiveness to human needs and aspirations, can provide the leadership required in these challenging times. We further believe:
- That we must join together with a renewed faith in our country, in our state, and in our Party to provide our people with responsive, responsible government;
- That government functions best when it is closest to the people;
- That our government is and should be of laws and not of favoritism or of arbitrary caprice, and therefore we condemn any resolution of conflicts, save through legal processes;
- That the Texas Democratic Party stands for law and order, for total and unceasing war against crime, for strengthen- ing law enforcement agencies, and for justice under law;
- That all citizens, no matter what their religion or race or how humble or exalted their origin or station, have the duty to participate fully at every level of government and are en- titled to an equal voice and to equal treatment at its hands;
- That all Democrats are bound to defend, to protect, and to honor our nation, our state, and our Party, and that when they are right, it is our privilege to sustain them, but when they err, it is our duty to correct them; and
- That, as Democrats, we are proud and upright citizens of the United States, that we are determined not only to serve our country, but also to stand shoulder to shoulder with citizens of other states in providing meaningful, responsible, and constructive leadership for our great nation.